Monday 29 August 2016

Lez talk stereotypes!

Hello beautiful humans! 

I thought today I'd go on a little thought ramble on my life and LGBT issues which I've experienced  and how i feel about the labels and stigmas still attached to the LGBT community. I'll mainly be focusing on things I have been asked myself though if you like this then let me know and I might make a little series out of it!


I came out in summer of 2015 to my friends and family via Facebook, at the time I came out as 'Pansexual' feeling unsure entirely of my sexuality - even now I am still learning and growing and exploring my sexuality, It really isn't as black and white as the world want us to think! - however now I feel more comfortable under the label of 'Lesbian' though if that changes again then so be it! my coming out was hardly a surprise to my close friends and family and most of them simply shrugged it off! much to my dismay as I had spent years building it up and expecting this huge backlash though they all pretty much knew so it wasn't a shock to them and I know I am very VERY lucky to have such a supportive network of friends and family around me! 

Since June 2015 I have taken it upon myself to learn more about the LGBT+ community as a whole and try and help educate myself and others around me and I am constantly learning new things and correcting things which society had taught me, so here are a few of the stigmas attached to the LGBT+ community and then the realities of it!

You can only be either Gay, Bi or Straight!

Whoa buddy! Slow down a second, Okay, so this is one I have heard SO many times! SO many times (seriously if i had £1 for every time i heard it i would never have to worry about money again!) The spectrum of sexuality is so so broad and while alot of people are saying how many of these sexualities have only appeared the last couple of years thanks to websites like tumblr my question is this, does it matter? does it really matter that more and more people are becoming open and willing to think about their sexualities and share them with the world? I think its great that more people are sharing information about lesser known sexualities such as Pansexuality and Demisexuality and Asexuality. Sexuality is such a spectrum (almost as if the rainbow is a broad spectrum of colours! ;) )

So, which one of you is the guy?

Something i'm sure almost everyone in a same sex couple has been asked on at least one (but probably more!) occasion and the answer is as simple as this, neither partner is! it's pretty hilarious because it defeats the entire thing of SAME-SEX relationships, we are both the same sex. just because it doesn't fix with hetero style of things. In my case both of us would be female and neither of us 'is the guy' because lez be real about this, i'm simply not into that, hence not being straight! 

But you don't LOOK like gay and you certainly don't ACT like it.

Soooooooo, Stereotypes are fun! no, i don't have a tribal tattoo, I don't live my life in vests and I wear pretty dresses and skirts and make up and I don't have a 'boyish' hair cut, but guess what, anybody in the world can look however they want, I love girls, I love females, they're who I feel a connection too, there isn't a set way anybody HAS to look to be a certain sexuality. sometimes I'll look 'stereotypically' lesbian y'know what I'm talking about - Snapback on backwards, ripped jeans, plaid shirt but sometimes I love dressing incredibly feminine wearing skater dresses and nice shoes and curling my hair, neither of these looks effect how I feel romantically! funny that hey?

But how are you ever going to have kids?!

So, i would like to introduce you to the 21st century there frienderino and tell you that there are more ways than just the good old fashioned way of conceiving children, as well as that there are Many options such as Adoption and Sperm Doners or Surrogates as well as i'm sure many other ways! so yes in the future when the time comes if i want children there are many ways I could become a mum! 

You're a Lesbian? so you HATE men right?

Okay this is down right ridiculous to assume that because I like girls that I HATE men, no I don't hate the male population of the world i'm just not attracted to them, in fact alot of the time I get on a hell of a lot better with guys than i do with girls! some of my closest friends through my teenage years were guys and I lived with 7 of them when i was in my late teens, did I spend my whole time with them detesting them and wishing they didn't exist? no because they was good company and SO much easier to get on with on a friendship level because it cut out the whole of the next point i'm going to make!

you MUST have a crush on me right? i mean i'm a girl and you like girls so you must fancy me!

No, no I do not. this is a bizarre ego complex most girls have that a lesbian must fancy them because they're female but here is the thing, do you fancy every single guy you meet? no? then why would it be the same for us?! the whole idea of it is completely bizarre to me and i just can't begin to comprehend the whole thing. I do not have a crush on every female I have ever laid my eyes on and i'm sorry if that hurts your ego.

I could truly ramble for hours and hours about the different ridiculous things I have been asked this was a very brief introduction to some of the ridiculous things that I've been asked since coming out and I'm sure that I will have many more stories in the years to come! I may make another similar post in the future about these! 

Hope you enjoyed these rambles from my brain! 

Leanne xo





No comments:

Post a Comment